Thursday, March 27, 2008

here is this guy; meet him!

1. Who are you, anyway?

Hi, I'm Garrett Martin, a reader of comics. Sometimes I write about what I read at the Kindercore blog. I also write about other stuff for other websites and publications. It is a hobby that occasionally pays very little.

2. What's your history with comics?

I’ve been reading ‘em since before I can remember. Papa had a box full of Disney, Harvey, and Looney Toon comics that we’d read together whenever my family was visiting. My older brothers had a bunch of late ‘70’s / early ‘80’s Marvel and DC books, and I read those things over and over. Didn’t start buying my own ‘til I was 9, and mostly picked those up from the local Quik-Stop and a couple of mall bookstores. Also bought tons of Archie digests at the Kash ‘n’ Karry. Discovered my first comic book shop one town over when I was 10 or 11, and made monthly trips there. By 12 I had my first pull-list, full of nothing but mainstream superhero comics, and my development was well on its way to being arrested. Kept that up ‘til I was 17, when music and other stuff monopolized my fun-time bucks. Also didn’t help that every shop within a 20-minute drive shut down on the same day. I pretty much avoided comics until a couple of years ago, when I realized I could afford ‘em and could definitely use the escapism. I still largely stick to spandex-wearing dudes punching each other in mid-air, but do read the occasional indie or manga or whatever.

3. First comic you can remember reading?

The first comic that made a strong impression was a ‘70’s reprint of Avengers #72, the first appearance of the Zodiac crime cartel. The Zodiac remains criminally underused, by the way.

4. Favorite writer?

Grant Morrison

5. Favorite artist?

all-time: Jack Kirby
currently active: Darwyn Cooke

6. What comic books would you like to hear God say he reads?

Owly and All-Star Superman #10, so he can pick up a few tricks.

No comments: